Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Fortysomething rant

It's been a long time since I worked in a library and obviously a lot has changed. As well as being a place to work and read, it is now apparently somewhere to giggle and chat with your friends, slightly less loudly than usual.
Yes, I have seen the room you can work in if you need to be quiet, but why is that necessary? It seems the same as having a special room in a pub where you can go if you want to drink - isn't that what the pub is for anyway?
It's not just the college library either. A few weeks ago I was working in the public library in Bath and someone a couple of tables away took a call on his mobile phone! Answered it and chatted away quite unconcernedly. Does getting indignant about this mean I am officially middle-aged? I hope not.
While I'm on a roll, another gripe concerning the library. The signs on the loo doors say 'Female Toilet' and 'Male Toilet'. Does this mean that toilets now have a gender? How long before we are buying female shoes and male shoes?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home