Friday, November 17, 2006

Corporate me

Today I have morphed from student me to corporate me and put my suit on to attend a networking meeting in Truro. Andy is completing his NLP Masters training in Cheltenham and I'm probably better at networking than him anyway. So many people try to sell themselves and their products at networking events and it's better just to talk to people and show interest in what they're doing.

For example, today I met a website designer who has written a book about web design for Barnes & Noble in the US. It will be published by a different publisher over here. He apparently pitched an idea to them and they came back and suggested something a bit different. He studied Journalism at City in London and worked at The Times for 6 weeks as his tutor was married to the deputy editor! Not a bad work placement!

Nobody else there was particularly interesting or interested in me - or maybe I just failed to hit their interesting button! You can never tell anyway. You might think you have made absolutely no impact at all and wonder why you bother going, and then months later you get an enquiry because someone has mentioned you to someone else. Best to go to these things with no expectations, if you can manage that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home