Wednesday, February 14, 2007

'Second Honeymoon' by Joanna Trollope

Derrek gave us some advice on writing a book review. He said to remember the rule of thirds - in the first third describe the book, in the second say what's bad about it, and in the third (third!) say what's good. So I am going to use that formula about Second Honeymoon by Joanna Trollope:

Unfortunately I read this book weeks ago, just before the big build-up to Jan 19, so I didn't get round to writing about it then and now it's not very fresh in my mind. Anyway, I'll do my best.

Second Honeymoon is about a couple whose three children have all finally left home. Russell, the husband, is glad to see the back of them and looking forward to having his wife to himself at long last. Edie, however, is suffering from empty nest syndrome and desperately wants to return to the days when the house was full. Meanwhile her sister Vivi, with whom she has an awkward relationship, is living alone, her husband having left her and her son having gone to Australia. The novel recounts the events which lead to the return of the children and the husband, and the consequences of them coming back.

Goodness, is there anything at all I could put in the 'bad' section? For me, reading Joanna trollope is pure pleasure and I can't remember one single thing in the whole book which struck me as false or clumsy.

So I'll move onto the good! Trollope obviously observes people minutely and understands them profoundly. She is excellent at conveying the intricacies of relationships through snippets of dialogue. (Sorry - no time to rummage through for quotes). She has also written here the best portrayal of a cat I have ever come across! Arsie (finally a quibble - cats deserve elegant names!) becomes almost another character, not just a dumb animal providing a bit of descriptive colour. There are many examples scattered (ho ho) throughout the book, but have a look at pages 369 to 370. Cat-deprived as I presently am, it gave me a huge pang.

For me, Joanna Trollope is like a box of really good chocolates - I know I should ration them for maximum pleasure, but actually I want to gorge the lot. And invariably do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home