Saturday, November 18, 2006

Strike it out

Quote from Ernest Hemingway - 'If there is anything in your own work you think particularly fine, strike it out!'

From my own blunders and those of my classmates, I am beginning to appreciate the truth of this. The phrase that gives you a gratifying glow as you write and re-read it is always the one which grates on others and hopefully on you when you read it later. Strike it out!

I am realising that I write in my head before, and more than, I do on the page or the screen. I need a good idea of what I am going to write before I sit down to start. I find the mental process is fermented well whilst carrying out mindless tasks like housework. Hence I have a clean house and lots of newly-ironed clothes. But no written assignments yet. What else needs cleaning?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home