Thursday, May 31, 2007

A May surprise

I've recently discovered James May's motoring column in the Telegraph on Saturdays, and I'm rather surprised to find myself a fan.

Surprised because I have no interest whatsoever in cars as long as they get me where I want to go and are well-designed. I spend as little on motoring expenses as I can get away with, and dread those times of the year when the MOT looms (soon) and the road tax and insurance have to be renewed.

So I am surprised to find myself reading May's column with enjoyment each week. The thing is that he writes very well and with a big dollop of humour, bringing in all sorts of other concerns, such as his new stair carpet and his wandering cat, who inspired the column on the wonders of cat-nav!

Another Saturday newspaper pleasure is the Writers' Rooms slot in the Guardian Review, which I devour greedily, while noting with satisfaction that successful writers all appear to have heaps of paper stacked around their rooms on the floor and on desks. If that is a qualification for publication, then at least I am a contender.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home