Monday, June 04, 2007

That's what I call a chocolate biscuit

I've just read a piece on the Telegraph website by AS Byatt about how miserable it is when one's favourite products are discontinued. How I sympathise.

For a brief and heady, not to mention calorific, period, M&S used to sell ginger biscuits stuffed with stem ginger and covered with thick chocolate. And I mean thick. So thick you only got six in a packet. I'm sure there were shameful and secret occasions when I ate the whole packet instead of a meal. When they were discontinued I was so grief-stricken and disbelieving, I would still go and stand in front of the biscuit display, as if I could bring them back by willpower alone.

And then there was Waitrose sparkling apple juice with ginger, which was lush, but also unaccountably disappeared from the shelves.

My current loudest lament - Gap cotton and Lycra capri pants. It must be about seven years ago now that these beauties appeared. Cropped summer trousers with a tummy-flattening side zip and an elegant tapering leg, split at the bottom. I had three pairs but I'd have bought ten if I'd realised I wouldn't be able to get them again. I look for them in vain every spring and every year I've been disappointed. This is a puzzle to me - surely this is precisely what Gap is for? This year they have come up with 'boycut' cropped trousers which just about cover your bottom cleavage and have pockets sticking out in all the places you want to look slim. Uh? I just don't get it.

I'm sure there's masses more, but just to end on a positive note, I remember Clinique Almost lipstick - a cross between lipstick and gloss which was discontinued but then hastily brought back following a howl of customer protest. Power to the shopper.

3 Comments:

Blogger miss-cellany said...

I remember those biscuits! I've been having similar thoughts, only wondering why living in Cornwall means that whole shops have vanished (eg Waitrose and Gap) rather than just items on their shelves!

Small price to pay though, give me the sun and beach over any consumer fix. Tho I have to say I hate Asda with a vengence and now refuse to go there...

11:19 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Ah how fondly I remember the Sainsbury's Mr Men chocolate yoghurt (discontinued in my teens) These were one of the few things I would eat as a child

I did have issues with them though, being an incredible weakling, I couldn't open them (I kid you not) and used to have to ask someone to do it for me, until I worked out how to use the end of the spoon like a tin opener.

Weak of arm, but strong of brain.

6:27 AM  
Blogger A Bed and a Toothbrush said...

I've been back in the land of ubiquitous Gap and Waitrose so am feeling quite blase about them now. This will probably last until the middle of next week.
Being back amongst shops has reminded me of another long-lost favourite - Body Shop coconut shampoo. I stll forlornly investigate their shelves at sale time just in case a stray bottle is hanging around somewhere.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home