Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Business writing at home and college

When I started this course, Business Writing was probably the option I liked the look of least. I've done it for ages for our business so I wanted to try something new and more exciting.

However, today Tom did a session with us and now I'm not so sure! I am actually interested in business and I know I have a business head, so why not put those to use? Apparently it also combines well with feature writing, which is something I have always wanted to do.

Will business vanquish non-fiction? Tomorrow we have a session with Susannah, so perhaps by tomorrow evening I will have more idea.

I have enjoyed Bill and Derrek's classes (Bill's in particular, I could listen to him all day quite happily!) but I simply don't have an idea for a novel and my pieces are always about people I know or experiences I have had. Not really good enough to fuel a whole novel, I don't think. But Tom did point out that many successful novelists have started out writing for business in one way or another. I knew all about Fay Weldon, of course, but didn't know that Salman Rushdie came up with the 'naughty but nice' fresh cream slogan. Will Self used to write for the Safeway in-house mag! Quite encouraging, isn't it?

After Tom's session I showed David and Fi how to use the reading blog. Nice to be able to help out and also very comforting to know I am not the only one who struggles!

I am feeling very pleased with the way I am coping with the different commitments in my life these days. I almost didn't join the course this year because I thought it might be too much. It was really down to Andy that I did - he always has more faith in me than I do and I've never known him to be wrong yet.

The housekeeping side of things has been no trouble at all and if anything, is probably better organised than before because I know there is less time to do it in. I have been keeping up with assignments and not getting panicked about them, although the work for our assessments in January is starting to loom in the distance. Doing my bits and pieces in the business has been fine so far - I actually had some writing to do this evening and there's another networking event on Friday. Andy and I must schedule some time together now that he's got his hypnotherapy qualification and we can get started on some marketing.

The only thing that's being neglected is my website www.city-of-bath-england.com which I haven't updated for weeks now. Because of that, my search engine rankings are slowly slipping, but oddly, the hits are staying up. Maybe I can do a bit of tweaking in the Christmas 'holidays'. I am starting to miss it - I have been amazed by how enjoyable it is, nerdy though it sounds!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home