Friday, November 24, 2006

Non-fiction and business writing

Yesterday was a 12 hour day at college, so by the time I got in I was only fit for a meal, a glass of wine and some easy viewing before bed. The day was longer than usual because after the course meeting we listened to the two radio plays made last week and then Susannah came in to talk to us about the creative non-fiction unit.

And now I think I am going to revert to my original idea and choose non-fiction and features! So much information, so much confusion! We were asked to work on a book idea but at the moment I have no firm ideas, so worked on Jenny's pitch for a climbing book. I have considered lots of possibilities - running your own business, working from home, downshifting to the country, a joint self-help book with Andy - and now need to think about them all more seriously. I have been told I have a knack of putting complex ideas across in a very straightforward and understandable way so I think this unit will be a good match for my natural abilities.

Today I have changed my persona and my clothes and become Ms Business again. Another networking event, this time in Bodmin. Maybe not the most dynamic place to do business but you just never know. I went along with a couple of women I know through work and enjoyed the different environment. I never thought I would be relaxed about going to these occasions but I am!

More business writing to do over the weekend. I have a profile of Andy to finish for one of the companies he is an associate of and this month's newsletter, on the subject of networking in fact! Everybody seems to have the same fears about it and the newsletter is intended to offer some practical help. It's great when readers take the trouble to respond, particularly if we don't know them personally. The internet is such a mindblowing tool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home