Friday, June 29, 2007

Squeezed into the Tube

Yesterday we came back from a week in London. Here's the blog I drafted in my notebook last weekend:

"I find I don't enjoy travelling in the Tube as much as I used to. Maybe it's the undreamt-of horror of the bombings, maybe it's getting older, maybe it's living in Cornwall, but these days when the doors slide closed on all those packed bodies, I need to let my mind shift sideways to a place which does not acknowledge where I am and what would happen if ...

I wonder how much this is behind the famous refusal of Londoners to ackonwledge each other, catch each others' eye while travelling at such close quarters. Maybe, like me, they are counting off the stops - only 3 to go before I can squeeze out back to the relative freedom of the platforms and corridors. Out there it may be like a sauna but at least it doesn't smell of stale bodies and at least there is somewhere to run."

This morning we heard that 2 bombs had been found in central London.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home