Friday, July 13, 2007

But I've only had one glass of wine

Last night just as we were about to tuck into our eagerly-anticipated spaghetti, A broke a wine glass in quite spectacular style. We're not quite sure how it happened, something to do with putting the stopper back into the bottle, which tipped up, spilling red wine onto the tablecloth, and knocking over my glass, half of which bounced onto the floor and smashed again.

Anyway, there was lots of clearing up to do, lots of swearing and lots of peering into my food to pick out glass shards (sorry, Bill, but I think you'll agree it's justified here), as I was too hungry and too greedy to abandon my plateful. Having finally eaten our glass-free meal (and the suspicion of lurking fragments does wonders for upping one's chew count, I can tell you. Break a glass over every meal and I'd soon be size zero) I did a stocktake of the glass cupboard.

Which revealed 3 odd champagne, 3 tall wine glasses only used by A because I've broken so many, 6 of a size and shape I don't like which were sent as a freebie by Laithwaites, and 2 odd ones, relics of times past.

It's quite alarming to see how much bigger wine glasses have become over the last 12 years or so. The oldest glass was a perfectly normal size when I bought it, possibly from Habitat, some time in the mid 90s. It now looks more like an oversized sherry glass. The other one is probably about 8 years old and a bit bigger, but still modest compared to the goldfish bowls on stems we are accustomed to today.

So the phrase "I've only had one glass of wine" starts to look a little suspect confronted with this startling visual evidence, and the growth of binge drinking begins to make sense. I wonder if manufacturers would ever start to make glasses smaller and if the public would ever buy them? I've often seen diet advice telling us to eat from a smaller plate, but nobody ever seems to think about glass sizes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home