Monday, December 04, 2006

There's no 'f' in funding!

I managed to forget about my blog yesterday - until I was curled up in bed, just dropping off, when it wasn't too difficult a decision to put it off till today!

Some good news from the External Funding office today. It appears that I can do my work placement under the Creative Enterprise Cornwall scheme - and get back 1/6 of my fees! - even though Business Cornwall magazine don't have public liability insurance. Apparently I can sign a disclaimer.

Nick and Toni, who started the mag this year, have moved down from London and are presently working from home, just as so many creative 'incomers' do. They don't need public liability insurance yet because they can do everything electronically. There is a barn on their property which they intend to use as an office one day, and they will probably employ people too, but it's early days for the mag yet.

It would be so stupid if I wasn't allowed a placement there due to such a bureaucratic detail and yet I know from my dealings with the dreaded funding, in my previous incarnation as a business advisor, that there is little common sense in it. I heard of projects funded for several years where the staff had just begun to understand their market and their potential and to make a real difference, only to have the funding stopped and a similar project start up with other funding, staffed by completely different people who were starting again at the beginning. Not to mention all the competetion between different funded organisations for the same market - business start-up advice being a prime example. It really is a very demoralising subject for any down-to-earth person, so I'd better shut up before I get on my high horse. I am just deeply grateful there seems to be a way forward and I'm looking forward to seeing behind the scenes at a local mag.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home