Saturday, December 30, 2006

'Someone's tired!'

I've just re-read yesterday's post, and I can't believe how quickly things can change! I was obviously feeling upbeat and optimistic when I wrote it in the morning, but by the end of the evening I felt total crap.

Andy had a band practice in Newlyn to prepare for a New Year's Eve gig, so I called a couple of friends to see if they were available for me to visit. They were, so I went along, just for a nice social evening. And it was just that, and good to see them and catch up with the news but I came home feeling very unsettled and grumpy and not really understanding why.

It may be partly due to rioting hormones but also perhaps to do with being in Newlyn and remembering what it was like to live there for those three years. We moved there from Bath, where I had run my own business for twelve years, and to say it was a culture shock is a total understatement. I did not know what had hit me and wanted to 'go home' just about immediately - this after entertaining ambitions of moving to Cornwall for several years.

So not an easy time in many ways and I suppose it is good that I have moved on enough to be able to see it as it was and not try to disguise it. But not a pleasant experience last night and I woke up today feeling very off-colour, physically as well as mentally. This afternoon we had to go and buy some bits and pieces as we were entertaining friends tonight, and I was standing yawning at the end of the checkout in Tesco while Andy paid. An old lady said 'Someone's tired' and gave me a big smile like I was a toddler lolling in a pushchair, so I must have looked bad!

After a cup of tea and some chocolate biscuits, Andy gave me a reiki session and I finally began to feel like a human being again. In fact, strong enough to switch on the news to hear about Saddam Hussein's execution. I felt oddly unmoved by it, especially thinking about that Christmas when the rulers of Romania were overthrown and shot. At this time of night I can't remember their names, but there was a real feeling then of relief and a bright new future. Nobody sees a bright new future for Iraq at present.

I don't really want to end this and go to bed on such a depressing note, so I'll just finish by saying that we had a good, relaxed evening, lots of delicious food and wine and a good laugh. A great way to spend a winter's evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home